I trust everyone had a nice break from curling and spent valuable time with family and friends over the holidays. Just a reminder to everyone that regular curling starts up again on Monday, January 6 with Day Ladies playing at 1:30 pm, followed by the Special Olympics at 3:30 and then the Monday Night Men's at 7:00 pm. We have a very busy schedule for the next few months here at the club. Every weekend has been booked until the end of March. There are several in club and open bonspiels scheduled and the time will fly by with all of these events. Before you know it the season will be over for another year. Let's get started with this month's newsletter!
- We have been fairly lucky with regard to nasty winter weather, however, I expect in the new year we may get our share of inclement weather. Just a reminder when you come into the club, please remove your winter boots as you have been doing. If there is room on a boot tray place them neatly there. If there is not a space please carry your boots to the locker room and place them on one of the many trays or mats that are available.
- We had a repair to the east power operated door a week or so before the break. Please remember when the power operated door has been engaged allow the door to open and close on its own. It operates on a timed schedule and even though it may take longer to open or close than required please allow it to run through its cycle.
Steak Night:The December steak night was another success with just over 180 people in attendance. Thank you to Jerry Ford who organized the evening and also to the volunteers from the Men's Section who helped with the BBQ, serving the meal, cleaning up, running the cash and washing and putting away the mountainous load of dishes. We appreciate their effort and the giving up of two hours of their personal time. We all are busy, particularly at this time of year, so we do thank those who were able to help us out. The next steak night will be the 14th of February. Be sure to mark that day on your calendar.
Name Tags:There have been a few members enquiring about the possibility of putting in another order for Lindsay Curling Club name tags in the new year. If interested let me know before Monday, January 27th and I will place another order at the end of this month. The cost is $15.00 which includes HST.
Special Olympics Qualifier:On January 4th the Lindsay Curling Club will be hosting the qualifier playdowns for the Special Olympics. There are eight teams from Ottawa to Toronto attending this competition with hopes of advancing to the Provincial finals. The winners of this playdown will be advancing to play at the men's tankard, for all Ontario. Unfortunately, our Lindsay team did not qualify to play but will be participating in several exhibition games to gain experience and also to take part in the event. Thank you to all of the volunteers who are helping out and especially Finni Verbik who spearheaded this event and her helpers Terry Gallagher, Joanne Sutherland and Lena McLean who assist with our athletes every Monday afternoon. Thank you one and all!!!!. As always, spectators are welcome!!
Heart "N" Soul Gifts Bonspiel:This daytime ladies bonspiel is scheduled for Wednesday, January 8th . The sign-up sheet went up in early December and it was filled up quickly. Teams have been drawn; they will play two six end games, have lunch between games, and prizes for the winning teams will be handed out afterwards. Thank you to all those who signed up to donate homemade baked goodies for the morning coffee which will be served at 9:30. The first game will begin shortly afterwards at 10:00 am. We would like to thank Kim Thornbury as she has generously agreed to sponsor this spiel for another year. "Thank You Kim!!!"
U15 Bonspiel:On Saturday, January 11th our club will be hosting our U-15 bonspiel sponsored by John O’Reilly Real Estate Brokerage. We have 12 teams participating in the spiel and some have travelled quite a distance. We have teams from Peterborough, Haliburton, Huntsville, Uxbridge, Ayr, Port Perry, Richmond Hill, High Park (Toronto) and Lindsay.
The under 15 curlers will play 2 – 8 end games separated by a hot lunch. There will be cash prizes given out to the winning teams as well as a draw prize table for the curlers, parents, grandparents and guests to buy tickets for many awesome prizes donated by club members and local merchants. You’re invited to come out, enjoy the day and cheer on the young curlers.
OCA Events:Last month the Lindsay Curling Club hosted the Zone 5 Grand Master competition. There were three teams taking part in this event. Congratulations to Team Broder of Bobcaygeon. They will be representing Zone 5 at the Grand Masters Provincials at the Thornhill Club later this season. Thank you to Cathy Terry for officiating the event and also Deb Hatch who provided lunch for the participating teams. As always, thank you to Mark and Nathan for providing the excellent ice for the event. On January 4th and 5th we have two LCC men’s teams competing in the Senior Men’s Qualifier. Good luck to Gary Grant, Ian Robertson, Dan Balachorek and Dave Farr, as well as Dave Nigh, Jim Scott, Dan Reynolds and Henry Jetten as they compete to move on to the Provincial Qualifier later this month at the Richmond Hill Curling Club. Good luck to Dave Nigh, Jim Scott, Dan Reynolds and Henry Jetten as they compete at the Master Men’s Provincial at the Midland Curling Club from January 8th – 12th. The team would like to thank all of the LCC members for their well wishes!!
- Saturday, January 4 - Special Olympics Qualifier
- Sunday, January 5 - Youth Curling Resumes - 1:00 pm
- Monday, January 6 - Regular League Play Resumes:
Women - 1:30 pm, Special Olympics – 3:30 pm and Monday Night Men’s – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, January 8 - Heart & Soul Daytime Ladies Bonspiel
- Thursday, January 9 - InterClub Play (PCC)
- Saturday, January 11 - U-15 Youth Bonspiel
- Saturday, January 18 – Sunday, January 19 (If Needed) - Travelers Club Thurs. Night Playdown Women
- Friday, January 24 - Regular Senior and InterClub Play (WNCC)
- Wednesday, January 29 – Sr. Mini Spiel